The term change management has broad meanings. A Google search quickly validates this.
I remember the shock when first introduced to the concept of organizational change management, “Big C”, and its relationship to technical change management, “little c”. And I continue to be amazed that for a relationship which should be very strong, how often this strong linkage is not demonstrated in practice or understood in principle.
The communication and client / end-user impact management needs are the same for both Big C and little c. They differ only in degree and scope.
Most striking was the lack of recognition that technical change management was often initiated as part of an organizational change management. Further if communication, business impact and awareness and client, stakeholder and end-user impact was not sufficiently managed within a technical change management engagement than it could trigger an organizational change management event.
As stated earlier, a Google search will provide a long list of articles. Below are a few of those articles with a short synopsis or a highlight of the key points of each article. As frequently, technical change management has become synonymous with project management, I have taken the liberty to include some project management articles.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLMyL4Yjjds – definition of big C and little c of change.
- https://www.people-doc.com/blog/change-management-it-applies-to-small-changes-too – “small change can be just as difficult to implement as big-scale ones”.
- https://www.cio.com/article/3121685/project-management/what-s-difference-between-project-management-and-change-management.html – article aimed at CIOs to explain difference and similarities between change and project management.
- http://blog.prosci.com/project-management-and-change-management-comparison – eight dimension comparison of change and project management.
- https://www.prosci.com/change-management/thought-leadership-library/integrating-change-management-and-project-management – integration and managing change on both the people and project side.
- http://blog.prosci.com/change-vs-change-management – how to reduce the confusion over change and change management
- https://www.clarizen.com/project-management-vs-change-management-whats-the-difference/ – brief overview of the differences between project and change management with a section on Training and Responsibilities.
- https://www.sunviewsoftware.com/blog/understanding-it-change-management-vs.-organizational-change – overview of the differences between organization and IT change management.
- https://flevy.com/blog/project-management-vs-change-management/ – comparison of focus on installation vs adoption and on a plan vs people aspects of the change. Discussion on the collaborate effort required between project managers and change managers.